Monday, September 19, 2005

Weekend Observations for 09/19/05

This weekend I discovered Bavarian Abbot Ale, imported from Belgium. Nice. With 8% alcohol it about put me on my ass but it was quite tasty with a range of flavors from fruity to spicy in a nice mix of three wheats (Tripel in Bavarian-Speak). All Poulez Fussie's (sic) are not created equal. In Canada we enjoyed a bottle of this variety and it was amazing. Unfortunately I did not note the winery (it was a 2001 though) so I decided to try a few bottles at the Beverages and More store. We sampled two over the weekend and one (Louis Jadot 2002) was ok but did not differ much from your garden variety Chardonnay the other (Joseph Drought 2003) tasted like watered down Louis Jadot. Any recommendations?

Shower repair. Next time I have an issue with plumbing I am going to dive into it instead of being sheepish. Lord knows I am a mechanical clutz but with a year plus of home improvement under my belt I discovered that I can do a thing or two. I discovered that by taking apart my shower massage that I was able to do a sufficient repair that stopped the "spray all over because of hard water mineral collection" problem. I also discovered the folks at Home Depot Expo are not like the guys at Home Depot. They don't know anything about anything related to home improvement. The guy I talked to had one objective, and that was to get done talking to me so he could move on to whatever other crap he had to do. Sheesh! Mineral collection got you down? Try a soak in a little vinegar.

My 1983 TV is nearly toast. The other night there was a green flash and everything went purple. Then the Raiders hit the field and looked nervous, scared and a tad inept. They held there own but in the end fell short of a victory. I am not sure why they got so shaky all of a sudden, they did not look that way in the season opener in New England. Next week they take on the Eagles. This could be a long season.

Local Color:
When in Fullerton (now in Brea too) be sure and check out Kimmie's Coffee Cup. They have the best chicken fried steak and eggs in So-Cal. Sunday we decided to try "Bernies" which advertised itself as good hometown cooking. The place had a line out the door. The food just sucks. It's horrible. I don't know if the place is better for lunch or dinner but the breakfast was a zero. Go to Kimmies.

Shopped for a new bicycle. Since the last time I bought one was in the early 90's I figured it was time to find a new one. I think the bike I liked the most was the Giant Yukon which is a comfort bike that felt quite good. It seems the best one available for me but I am not sure if it's as comfortable as I want it to be. It's also only $100 than the Diamond Back Ascent that I purchased in 1992. Not bad. Anyway I have not purchased it yet but I think I will soon.

What is a good price for alternations? $12 a seam is the price I was quoted on Saturday. Is that good?

If you have a fountain in your yard is it supposed to sound like a rushing stream? I had to get up to pee three times the other night because my neighbor's fountain has been running like Hurricane Katrina for the last few days.

Frick and Frack suck.

Enjoy the week.

No comments: