Thursday, September 29, 2005

Popular Political Opinion

I am the first person to stand up for the war in Iraq. I feel strongly that in order to insure that Iraq is settled as a peaceful country that U.S. forces need to remain there. I am not overly concerned with the death toll of civilians or military. Not because I don't care but because I understand that when you are trying to exact great change there is a cost.

What concerns me is the American Public and how long the Bush Administration will stand strong against the growing number of the who demand the withdrawal of U.S. Troops from Iraq. This is still a small group but it's a vocal group. I am afraid that the message that the "U.S. Troops in Iraq is wrong" will become public opinion. It is public opinion that brought the troops back from Vietnam and it could be the same for Iraq. Although I see no similarities in the two conflicts.

Yet I wonder if a major cause of the war in Vietnam is the same as what has created the conflict with al Qaeda. If there was not a "Head of al Qaeda in Iraq" would the situation appear so grim? If Al Zarqawi was dead would peace come to the region sooner? If you saw the documentary "The Fog of War" you know that a major cause of the Vietnam conflict was miscommunication. I think it is clear that communication is a big part of why Osama Bin Laden and his followers hate the U.S. and I think most would agree whether you like him or not that George W. Bush is far from a great communicator. He even calls on invisible reports at press conferences. (Bianca are you there yet?).

It takes time and sacrifice to exact great change.

Lets hope the American Public has the patience to see it through.

No comments: