Wednesday, December 24, 2008

It's those last 20 miles that test your determination

Anytime we take on a challenge is it the jumping in that is hard?
Is it keeping your pace up?
Is it avoiding distractions and keeping focus?
Perhaps its the emotional support from the people that love you?

Last night it was the shits.

Nina and I had just traveled some 960 miles enroute from Fullerton, CA to Portland, OR and my stomach was not happy. I wasn't sure what I had eaten that could cause the distress but the boy was distressed. It was gurgling, and snapping, and popping. It was rice crispies of the intestine.

To make matters worse after 960 miles of clear weather free driving we reached a point where the streets were covered in ice, temperatures were subzero and my X3 was making me question if all wheel drive was enough to get me to my destination.

With the exception of the beautiful snow covered trees of Mt Shasta we didn't see a speck of snow or ice on the ground. Once we came through mountain pass into Salem, Santa's winter wonderland surrounded us. There was no snow falling on us but there was a good 6" base that lit up the sky like daytime. Truly beautiful this snow was. What? Gurgle, spat, ugh.

As we passed the exit to Keiser, OR the home of friends Tish & Bill I said to myself that we should stick to the road despite the repeated calls from my nephew Warren warning of congestion, delays and all around traffic nightmare. He suggested that we stop in Wilsonville for a little while to do some shopping or have dinner while the road cleared up. We didn't make it to Wilsonville.

At Washburn approximately 8 mile (yo Em wassup?) south of Wilsonville traffic came to stop. So the thought of stopping for the night at the local best western seemed like a good idea. I could tell Nina was worried about driving in the snow and if it hadn't been 28 degrees there would probably have been sweat on her brow. But in these temps mini icicles had begun to form on her eyelashes. No rooms at the Inn but if we travel 2 miles the wrong direction we might have a chance at a room at the local fleebag. Nope.

I decided to tough the weather out. I have never driven in the stuff and, oops, what was that? O crap lets hit the restrooms Sweetie! It was horendous.

Imagine the worse stomach flu you ever had. The smell of old fish combined with a trash dump. That gooey stuff that gatherers between your toes when you don't wash your feet for two weeks.

Oh yes it was pleasant.

But I had to suck it up (not literally you sick f's) and trudge through this wonderfull white christmas eve that I had always dreamed of. Yep it was now past midnight so we were ho ho hoing all night.

The radio was no help either. Apparently the state of Oregon does not think it important to have an all news station so trying to find out more info about the weather conditions we were headed toward was not going to happen. Instead we had to listen to an interview with "Uncle Ted" the rocker/gun nut who says if Obama is elected we are all done for. I guess there is no live radio on Dec 23rd.

Our journey ended at 1:45 am after leaving Fullerton at 6:30am. FUN!

No chains on, I had AWD after all. My X3 had some slip and slide last night and Nina was very appreciative once we made it to the safety of her sisters.

Here's to my FIRST White Christmas! Gurgle, churn, spat, ugh.

Much love to all!

No comments: