Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Things That Aren't Here Anymore

There was a popular local Newsman in Los Angeles by the name of Ralph Story. Growing up I associated the guy with boredom because it seemed to me that he never talked about anything I cared about. So when Dad watched one of his programs I found something else to do.

This year I discovered a two episode series of Ralph's called "Things that arent here anymore" and the "More things that aren't here anymore". A delightful survey of Southern California attractions that we loved as a kid and no longer exist. I have to say that watching the shows brought back fond memories for me like the time the lion attacked our station wagon at Lion Country Safari or getting bit on the arm by a roaming goose at Busch Gardens. Yes! Those were the "safe and sane" years.

I imagine that in 5 years there will be another series (perhaps helmed by the great Huell Howser) profiling those things that are not around since the collapse of our economic system. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the CDs are running empty at the Local Entertainment Store not to be replenished as the Digital Age is upon us. With the expense of producing goods increasing I see that the era of the "touch and feel" economy will dissappear. We will no longer care about having a solid piece of whatever to show for the money we spend. Could the Quatloo be that far off?

Here is the beginning of my list of "Things that won't be here anymore":

1. The Middle Class.
Shocking as it may seem I believe that as more individuals lose their jobs and more get dumped on the street as a result of foreclosure that the US as we know it will be like many third world countries. There will be Rich and there will be Poor. I think that the US economy has ridden on the backs of the middle class for too long and we are fast approaching the day when the middle class will no longer be able to afford to keep the government afloat and will fail. What side will you be on? Rich or Poor? That is unless we adopt The New Economy.

Wow that's a big one!

I better let that settle in with you before I write "More Things That Aren't Here Anymore".

No comments: