Monday, November 10, 2008

Goodbye Grandma

It seems that November is the month when people die.

November 6, 1992 was Mom.
November 27, 2006 was Dad.
November 9, 2008 was Grandma.

One of the things that made my Grandma's passing different was that she was ready. She had lived almost 93 years, had outlived all of her friends and many of her family. She had experienced many things and had a life that after my Grandfather died in the 70's she dictated all on her own. In a way this power isolated her as she was never the one to "go along" with the crowd.

Some things I will never forget about her:
  • The Denver Opera "in the Round"
  • Her Paintings and the way her and my Mom encouraged me to explore the fine arts
  • The way she would make this sound like she was sucking wind (Suss!) when I would drive her around town and not hit the brake when she thought I should
  • The little pig magnet on her fridge that said "He who indulges, bulges"
  • Her tight purse strings (I didn't say they were all complimentary)
  • How she would always have a 5pm cocktail break which consisted of Cutty Sark on the rocks and a small bowl of popcorn which she would purchase already popped in a big bag from the King Soupers.
  • How she would never call, or write me if I didn't call or write to her first and how she would never leave a message on them new-fangled answering machines
  • The fact that every year before and after Mom died I would go to see her and all I would hear was how much she loved and appreciated my brother who seldom visited
Her passing is a bit strange for me because there was a time that I was very close to her but not so much in the last few years. For the most part I have fond memories of her and I will never forget her and how she contributed to my life. How after my parents divorced and my Mom moved back home to Denver she cared for my Mom and how my Mom took care of her.

I hope that she had fond memories for me.

1 comment:

Poor Mommy said...

In death, all things become clear, dude.