Thursday, October 20, 2005

Get rich quick

Someone just hit the powerball for $340 million. This person had a 1 in 146 million chance and they hit it. And this person lives in Oregon where $340 million might as well be 340 extillion trillion dillion. More money than you could possibly spend.

We all wonder if that will ever happen to us. I am convinced that it won't for me. I found the following article interesting in the words that scammers use to justify their actions. Usually the justification is that they are a robin hood like being taking from the rich (Americans) and giving to the poor (themselves). Just like the drug trade this is a no win situation for anyone. Even the scammer loses when he wastes his money on furr sinks & electric dog polishers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20051020/ts_latimes/iwilleatyourdollars

Since I know someone who fell for a scam like this and still believes in it I know that this is a reality even in 2005. They target the elderly because they are more trusting. Perhaps it's a good thing that grandma doesn't have a computer or know how to e-mail? She can be protected. But then again my grandma is so stingy I can't image her sending money to Nigeria to a stranger. It's sad that I know someone who has been taken for a huge sum of money yet I do not know someone who has won a huge sum.

Stay informed, protect the elderly in your family and FIGHT BACK!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you always complain? Is complaining the only writing style you're capable of?