Monday, October 03, 2005

Weekend Observations for 10/03/05

Now that I have a DVR from my crappy cable company taping things for future broadcast is much easier. Is "taping" the correct term when no tape is involved? Being a fan of the vast world of television I sampled all the returning shows from last year and a good number of the new ones.

The best show this year is the best show from last year. LOST. JJ Abrams has a second success to accompany ALIAS, that is so dynamic in the stories it tells as it pulls the experiences of the stranded plane crash survivors past's into the events on the island and ties the whole thing together. We still don't know the big picture which in my mind is what will make this a long term success. If you don't know what's around the corner you will always be surprised to find it. Terry O'Quinn and his mysterious Loc character is the highlight for me. He is much better than the skipper, gilligan, or even the professor.

At the same time the folks at ALIAS really dissappointed me with how they treated Vaughn in the season opener. I should have known that when I saw Jennifer Garner had a producer credit that this was going to happen. Ben Affleck sucks.

The worst show this year has to be SURFACE. The acting, the writing, the concept. Well it's all bad and I give this show a month before it's done. A close second is E-RING. Not because it's not a good concept, I love the "homeland security" play and I am still pissed that CBS cancelled The Agency. Dennis Hopper is great but the other acting is very poor, not to mention the dialogue, and Benjamin Bratt is lousy.

Survivor is getting tried (as we all knew it would).

Can you tell that the only significant thing I did over the weekend was watch TV? That's what happens when you work on Saturday.

No comments: