Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year

I hope 2005 is a great one for all of us.

Nina and I decided to spend New Years Eve at home this year watching the movies Super Size Me, Troy and The Punisher. I thought The Punisher was the best of the three and we didn't even finish watching it. Maybe it was the champagne?

Close to midnight we took a survey of the New Years Eve shows and found none of them to be too exciting. Has Ryan Seacrest's 15 minutes of fame ended yet or is it just beginning? I sure like it when he makes those gay jokes about Simon Cowell. Laugh riot.

Regis did his best to fill in for Dick Clark but what's with interviewing the crowd to find out what their new years resolution is? It's clear that no one has thought about it and the answers always come out flat but they keep plunging forward. And was it really necessary for Regis to interrupt from the booth with "Is that your final answer?"

Also country music is not hip. How many Cowboy Boogie bars are left in America? When was the last time you went line dancing? No one in the blue states wants to watch that crap and in the red they prefer Shania Twain not Kenny Chesney.

Usually MTV has something interesting but they put on Kelly Clarkson. While watching her performance I kept thinking of that sorry son of a bitch Justin Guarini. Remember mister second place? I wonder what vegas lounge he's singing at? Don't get me wrong, Kelly has an amazing voice but I miss the good old days when a band like Nirvana or Pearl Jam rang in the new year. This year the best they could muster was Green Day, a band that has played the same guitar riff for 6 years.

I think the TV highlight was the Usher video on Fox, excuse me I mean the Usher "movie". We kept switching back and forth from this to the other new years eve shows and the thing never ended. When will Usher start wearing one glove? If his hair caught fire he'd end up in much worse shape than Michael did.

If you decide to donate to one of the charities participating in the relief effort in Southeast Asia be sure and use this website http://give.org/ to check them out. I was not a big fan of the Red Cross after they botched up the 9/11 response but a report this morning on the news said that they are making a large impact in Thailand and India. I do not recommend one charity over another but do check out give.org before you donate.

Have a great 2005.

No comments: