Thursday, March 12, 2009

Doin All Right, Sup with You?

Wine News:
Ordered my first bottle of French wine the other night without the help of the Sommelier. It was actually quite easy as I recognized a region in Burgundy that I had studied in wine class and said "I will take this one". The class has certainly empowered me but also left me humbled when I thought for sure I knew the origin of a particular wine we were blind tasting and got it horribly wrong.

BevMo is having a 5 cent sale and two of the featured wines are among my favorites. Michael Pozzan Cabernet Sauvignon (Special Reserve) and Bridlewood Viognier. Get them while they last!


TV News:
Is 24 the most solid program on TV? They don't unnecessarily stretch story lines out instead choosing to wrap them up in a blaze of glory. Jack Bauer Rules!

Radio:
Monday was the last day of Opie & Anthony on CBS radio. The economy has taken it's toll on radio companies as they trim their expenses and remove all the talent from the air. First KLSX removed their entire talk line up in LA and now O&A in NYC. Top 40 jukeboxes for everyone?

Still O&A will live on in the world of Satellite Radio. I just re-upped my XM sub to avoid the pending price increases and with today's announcement that Sirius XM will be available on iPhone's in the spring the stock is now trading near 20 cents/share. So sign up people! We need the subs!

I attended a Tax Revolt last Saturday in Fullerton and found it quite ironic that the same bunch of people who rallied to put the Governator into office are now trying to get him sacked. It's clear that if your political representatives are not doing what you think is right the only recourse is to recall them. My cynical view on politics sees this as an act of futility as he would just be replaced by another puppet of the California State Legislature.

Politics:
Mr. Obama, where is the change you promised? Is it in the stimulus to spend more money on education & social programs (now that is an original idea from the left) or is it from funding of pet projects that could provide jobs in 2012? The blatant disregard by all the politicos out there to raise taxes in a time when the price of consumer goods are 8.6% higher than last year is alarming and disturbing.

If you were a jelly bean what color would you be?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello James,

This is the first time I join a blog..don't mind me I'm very new to this world and very computer illerate. Anyway, I appreciate you sharing the wine knowledge and news and good luck with your venture. Sorry I can't advice you anything on it since I don't know anything about wine. I do like to know more though since Maxx is Italian so it would be nice to join him and have a glass of wine for dinner sometime. Haven't acquire the taste for wine yet but would like very much to. I believe it will make my dinning experience much better if I learn to like wine with it.

Anonymous said...

Tried a bottle of Bud "American Ale" at someone's house recently ... AVOID AT ALL COSTS. God, that was bad. Insulting to Americans too.

Got some Sam's Black Lager. Not bad at all. Definitely a beer (not an ale, not a stout) but has nice chocolate/coffee overtones. Not quite as heavy as the Spaten Optimator but similar in many ways.

We've been sampling Latin American wines lately ... Chilean and Argentinian reds are pretty good, if inconsistent.

Anonymous said...

Why does the ampersand show up as &amp in the comments??? Stupid.

Anonymous said...

IE8 is pretty great
But Firefox still rocks my socks
Opera? No, UMA!

Anonymous said...

spocks beard rulez!