Wednesday, February 06, 2013

THE REINVENTION OF JAMES

THE REINVENTION OF JAMES – a first in a series

I’m bored. Uninspired. Lacking drive. Motivation levels are low. Need a Reboot.

I have spent most of my life doing something that I am pretty good at. I went to school to study it. I make good money doing it. To be honest I don’t hate it. It’s just same old same old.

Engage rut.

I have searched down avenues of reinvention in the past. Looking for what inspires. Trying to determine what mark on the world I want to leave behind. But more importantly looking for something that I can do every day all day and be happy doing it. Never losing focus, always excited, weary at times but never tired, never bored. And if I can make enough money to live well doing it that would be sweet.

Often times I find myself using the “but” word.

“I would love to work in the wine industry, discovering new wines, sharing my discovery with others, but how can I make money doing this?” – me.

I am not an expert on anything. Sure there have been times when I am the smartest guy in the room but it’s usually because I know just a tad more about something than everyone else. In a competitive world where there are hundreds of others who want to do the same as you odds are you won’t be the smartest guy. I would love to be a wine distributor or be in wine sales but there are many more who have dedicated their entire life to this and have far more experience than I have.

There I go again using the “but” word.

Seems there is always a gap between what we want and what we can get. That chasm shrinks with knowledge, experience, and a bit of luck. Many of the hugely successful among us are a result of being in the right place at the right time. I am smarter than those people.  :-)

I just don’t have their luck.

So it’s with this thought that I begin a personal journey that I will share with you. A journey of reinvention. A walk down a somewhat familiar path toward a goal that at this point is a bit murky. But it’s there and it’s screaming out to me. “JAMES I AM THE GUY YOU NEED TO BE!”

No comments: