Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Oahu Part 1

To be home on the islands, how I missed it. So many things that seemed so familiar but many of the landmarks of my childhood visits were gone. What to do in 4 days to recapture that feeling of Aloha?

We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and if you avoid the $30 pizza and use the $16/day internet service wisely I think this is an affordable place to stay. We booked the cheapest room possible and when we arrived I flashed my blue (lowest level) Hilton Honors card and the helpful woman at the desk found us a nice upgrade to a mid level room in Kalia Tower which is located at the back of the property but has the easiest access from the main road. We had a wonderful view, little noise, and surprisingly comfortable bedding. Valet parking at the Hilton is only $5 more ($29) than parking yourself so it was a no-brainer.

Our first night after careful deliberation we picked the Side Street Inn about 2 miles from the hotel for our dinner. When I called my brother to meet us there I told him that this place was recommended for local food but that it was not in the most desirable neighborhood (there were strip clubs and seedy bars along the way). The food here was great. We feasted on Kalua Pork Sliders on peking duck style buns, Katsu Chicken, Soba Noodle, Fried Pork Chops, and my favorite Ahi Belly. The Ahi Belly was covered in a salt & pepper husk and flash fried to perfection so that the inside was rare and the outside was nicely crisped. Throw in a couple of the local lagers and you are set!


The next morning we wandered around the property and checked out the exclusive lagoon area at the Hilton. We scheduled lunch with the family at the Big City Diner which is a chain restaurant but has good local food. This trip was all about local food for me. I had the kalua pork with lomi salmon, rice and all the good stuff. Nina got the loco moco with Kim Chee fried rice and it was quite delicious. We spent the afternoon touring the island looking for spots to perform the scattering. There were many nice locations but the minute we saw the Pali Lookout it seemed a perfect place.

On the path to shave ice we came across Leonards and had to stop in for malasadas! Malasadas are puffy donuts covered in cinnamon sugar (or powered sugar if you prefer) and can come with different fillings if you choose. I stuck with my favorite cinnamon sugar no filling. Nice! We made it to Waiola Shave Ice as well and their snow drift powdered ice was quite a treat. The guy behind the counter doesn’t smile but who can blame him he serves shave ice all day and it’s hot and humid in this place!

Since we were full on treats we passed on dinner and instead Nina and I went to the Tropics Bar at the Hilton for a late night adult beverage. She had a Mai Tai that was so strong she couldn’t finish it and I had an amazing Watermelon Mojito.
It tasted like a watermelon jolly rancher candy.

A fitting ending to a night of treats!

No comments: