Sunday, February 13, 2005

Kitchen Accomplished


After Posted by Hello


As you can see we have been busy remodeling our kitchen. Now that it is finally done I am quite relieved. Let me tell you this job was not an easy one.

I decided to take on the job of general contractor for this project because I was tired of years of wanting a new space and no results, besides what else is there to do when you got no job. Now mind you (who talks like this?) I have no mechanical skill and my attention to detail is minimal. But I thought this would be a good learning experience and up till now every home improvement job I have taken on has never come out the way I wanted so what did I have to lose?

Did you know that if you buy stone from certain Armenian tile companies that they don't hold it for you until you come to pick it up? I purchased the stone tiles for the floor in October because they were on clearance and I wanted to get my share before they ran out. When I returned to pick them up in December they had been sold out from under me. I had already paid for them and they were not in the warehouse. I was told when I purchased them that I didn't need to rush to pick them up yet when I tried to pick them up I was told that you must pick up your purchase within 2 weeks of purchase or you will have to pick something else. I was told that this is the way the tile business works. Bullshit. Bedrosians will not get any more of my business.

Another interesting thing that I discovered is that when you purchase custom cabinets make sure that when they are installed they are level. I am told that it is not uncommon for the floor of your house to be uneven because the cement was not poured correctly or the earth has shifted. If the cabinets are not level and you choose a granite slab (or other solid surface) as your countertop the installer cannot install it properly. Oh and don't count on the countertop guy to make sure the cabinets are level before he installs the top. My slab guy would have gone ahead installing the slab had the cabinets not been so far off level (1/2 an inch). I called the cabinet people out and they re-leveled all the cabinets so the slab guy could do the install. It was a nightmare that I don't envison taking on again but I learned a lot. Mainly that I will not remodel my next house.

This is only the first phase of MOSSNEWS EXTREME HOME REMODEL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a great transformation. Love the chairs and the tiles above the stove.

Good for you, I know you probably had to do a ton of leg and phone work!!!

~Deanna